[pycon-za] Getting the programme rolling

Simon de Haan simon at praekeltfoundation.org
Wed Aug 1 09:35:02 CEST 2012

I'm +1 on having something aimed at people with a solid PHP & Java
background but need an introduction to get up & running in Python (and
not necessarily focussed on web dev)

Off the top of my head I think it should touch on:

* virtualenv / virtualenvwrapper / buildout (maven / pear package alternatives)
* easy_install / pip / pypi (also maven / pear alternatives)
* setup.py / packaging
* python shell (foreign to most PHP & Java ppl afaik)
* an editor / IDE setup that'll get them up to speed, lots of people
will be coming from an Eclipse type of background.

Thoughts?

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 7:46 AM, Gustav <gustav at praekelt.com> wrote:

> Morning Simon et al
>
> Some thoughts:
>
> We should have something that is aimed at Python novices (not programming novices). Maybe this could be a tutorial?
>
> Python in action:
> I would love to see projects that apply Python in the African environment to solve real problems.
>
> Maybe the format of these talks can be shorter (no more than 10-15 minute talks?).
>
> Examples: Unicef's work on Rapid in Uganda, Childcount, etc.

> GUSTAV PRAEKELT | CEO
> PRAEKELT.COM | PRAEKELTFOUNDATION.ORG
> Twitter: gustavp
>

> On Wednesday 01 August 2012 at 2:49 AM, Simon Cross wrote:
>
> Greetings
>
> We're close to the point where we'll be calling for talks so I'd like
> to start a discussion about what kinds of things we'd like to be on
> the programme. The final programme obviously depends on finding
> speakers but I think we need to know what sorts of talks to push. I've
> started by listing of topics that seemed important to me below. Things
> that I thought we might want tutorials on I've marked with "(T)"
> although since tutorials are longer, space for those in the programme
> is going to be limited.
>
> If anyone has any topics to add, or thoughts on the direction of the
> programme, please reply.
>
> Possible topics:
>
> Core Python:
> * Python packaging (T)
> * Unit testing (T)
> * Python performance
>
> Web development:
> * Django (T)
> * GeoDjango
> * Flask
>
> Python for science, engineering and data crunching:
> * Scipy
> * Numpy
> * Pypy
> * Pandas
> * Spatial Data Infrastructures
>
> Python development for Mobiles:
> * Writing Android applications in Python
> * Mobile messaging with Python
> * Django for mobi sites (T)
> * Embedded Python
>
> Backend Python:
> * Twisted
> * Managing Cloud Servers (Fabric, Boto)
> * Monitoring (Diamond, Carbon, Graphite)
> * Writing Scalable Python programs
>
> Storing data:
> * SQLAlchemy
> * SQLObject
> * Accessing NoSQL datastores from Python
>
> Community development:
> * Getting involved with Python projects
> * Why you should take part in PyWeek
>
> People doing things with Python:
> * SKA

SIMON DE HAAN | CHIEF ENGINEER PRAEKELT FOUNDATION

PRAEKELTFOUNDATION.ORG | PRAEKELT.COM
M: +27 (0) 76 449 3806  |  TWITTER.COM/SMN