[pycon-za] Quicket integration with the PyCon ZA site

Jonathan Endersby jonathan.endersby at praekeltconsulting.com
Thu Aug 16 15:38:39 CEST 2012

Hi

I worry that we're breaking a nice clean UX to accomodate a small
percentage of (admittedly important) guests.

Can't we just offer the option of a quicket purchase to non-South Africans?
ie. A link at the bottom of the page to the quicket page.

J.

On 16 August 2012 14:24, Simon Cross <simon.cross at praekeltfoundation.org>wrote:

> Hi
>
> So Ruan kindly integrated Quicket into the site at fairly short notice
> but I'm not sure the whole thing was ever really thought through
> properly from our side.
>
> What we had before was: user signs up, user is automatically sent
> invoice (Hanno and Celeste CC'ed), user receives invoice and pays via
> EFT, Hanno and Celeste reconcile and email Wendy, Wendy marks people
> as paid in the Django admin interface.
>
> What we have now in QA is: user signs up and enters details and
> selects registration type, user taken to Quicket widget on PyConZA
> site and selects registration type again, user is transferred to
> Quicket and enters details again, user pays Quicket by credit card or
> EFT.
>
> So:
>
> 1) Are we happy with Quicket as the only payment method? Specifically,
> are we happy with receiving something like R100k three days after the
> conference?
>
> 2) Are we happy with users entering the registration type twice?
> Should we remove one or will someone volunteer to fix errors and
> reverse payments somehow (is this possible with Quicket?)? Removing
> one means we rely on Quicket for payment.
>
> 3) Are we happy with users entering their details twice? If we remove
> one, are we happy maintaining the database of registrations entirely
> in Quicket? Who will migrate the current sign-ups across?
>
> 4) How do we match who has paid with the database in Django? Wendy,
> are you happy to do this?
>
> 5) What happens if someone buys multiple tickets via Quicket in a
> single transaction?
>
> 6) The direct EFT details are currently still on the site (under
> About). If we're not using them they should be removed.
>
> 7) Some people will have Quicket tickets. Do those mean anything? Are
> we using tickets? Do people who signed up elsewhere get tickets?
>
> 8) What happens if someone buys tickets on Quicket without signing up
> via us at all?
>
> Before we make the Quicket stuff live we need a plan for how all of
> the logistics around it are going to work.
>
> Schiavo
> Simon

*JONATHAN ENDERSBY* | SENIOR STRATEGIST

*PRAEKELT*.COM | *PRAEKELTFOUNDATION*.ORG
*M*: +27 82 414 3129