[pycon-za] Confirming first few speakers

Jonathan Endersby jonathan.endersby at praekeltconsulting.com
Wed Aug 22 07:56:51 CEST 2012

I would suggest that you get all the potential speakers to submit an intro
paragraph and then have a committee decide after the submission deadline...
This of course does not apply to invited speakers.

The selection criteria is not just "Is this a good talk?", but also, have
we covered all our bases? It's quite possible, for instance, that no one
wants to talk about Django because the topic is so broad. Do we get a
"Intro to Django" talk (which I think we should have) or/and a "Timing
attacks using Django Signals on virtual hosts" talk.

If we say yes early-on we run the risk of having to say no to someone
really awesome because their talk overlaps too closely with another talk
we've already said yes too.

Lastly, I think it's important that we push people who we know are
awesome/interesting to submit a talk proposal. Often the really awesome
speakers are too busy being awesome (or just genuinely humble) to suggest
themselves.

J.

- sent from my tricorder.