[pycon-za] Sponsor, Speakers and some general ideas

Jonathan Endersby jonathan.endersby at praekeltconsulting.com
Fri Jun 1 15:19:30 CEST 2012

Hi

Can I suggest we base the sponsor levels on what ScaleConf used.
http://scaleconf.org/sponsor-details  -  Simon, do you have a budget yet?

Graeme, I get that Go2Africa is wanting to help with travel arrangements,
but isn't that what they do? Are they offering discounts?

I think an all expenses paid safari would be a great incentive to get
international speakers to speak. I feel that could be offered in exchange
for cash, assuming the value fell within one of the sponsor levels (as per
ScaleConf etc)

j.

On 31 May 2012 10:27, Simon Cross <simon.cross at praekeltfoundation.org>wrote:

> On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 1:28 PM, Graeme Glass <graemeglass at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > The company I work for, Go2Africa [1], is keen to sponsor pycon-za.
> >
> > This sponsorship would be in the form of our expertise in helping
> > international and domestic delegates to find appropriate accommodation.
> > Go2Africa would find the best and most cost-effective accommodation,
> prepare
> > travel plans, and offer travel advice where required.
> >
> > We would also like to offer a fully paid (or seriously discounted) Safari
> > for the keynote speaker. If not fully sponsored, then perhaps pycon-za
> could
> > pay for the discounted rate as a gift?
> >

> > In terms of Keynote, I saw that Paul Graham's name was suggested. PG is a
> > fantastic speaker [2], but perhaps consider a speaker who is more
> involved
> > in core Python development?
>
> I think I would also lean in the direction of someone more directly
> involved with Python, but lets see who responds. A big name would have
> the advantage of pulling in non-Python people though (and thus
> introducing them to Python). Largely this is going to come down to
> budget and who wants to talk.
>
> > I also noticed that you are considering multiple tracks. May I suggest
> you
> > consider a one-track event, especially for the first Conference?
> > Single-track conferences tend to be easier to organise, and delegates
> don't
> > have to make difficult choices between the great talks on offer.
>
> The feeling so far has been that the local Python community's
> interests are quite diverse and that we'll be better able to cater to
> the wide interests by providing more talk slots.
>
> > Have you finalised the venue?
>
> Not yet.
>
> > See you at CTPUG on Saturday. Have a great day.
>
> See you there.

*JONATHAN ENDERSBY* | SENIOR STRATEGIST

*PRAEKELT*.COM | *PRAEKELTFOUNDATION*.ORG
*M*: +27 82 414 3129