[pycon-za] Getting PyCon ZA off the ground

Simon Cross simon.cross at praekeltfoundation.org
Thu Mar 22 15:28:52 CET 2012

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 11:12 AM, Neil Muller <drnlmuller at gmail.com> wrote:
> We need to settle on the date real soon now. The 4th & 5th October
> option looks good to me, so I think we should commit to that date and
> start planning from there.

Agreed. I'd really like to get a date set before the end of this week
or early next week is possible. The main stumbling blocks are
confirming with ThoughtWorks whether the day before works for them for
Agile Africa and then getting at least a tentative booking for a
venue.

Jonathan (Endersby) suggested having two conference tracks -- one
advanced, one more introductory. I think it's a good idea. Obviously
keynotes and such will be single track. Having two tracks does
potentially affect venue selection though which is why I'm raising it
early.

Having student rates and financial aid are both good ideas.

I think something like PyCon's abstract submission process will work
for us. Keynotes and big talks will probably be by invitation (given
all the arranging that has to happen to make those work).

Schiavo
Simon