[pycon-za] Sponsor, Speakers and some general ideas

Simon Cross simon.cross at praekeltfoundation.org
Thu May 31 10:27:15 CEST 2012

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 1:28 PM, Graeme Glass <graemeglass at gmail.com> wrote:
> The company I work for, Go2Africa [1], is keen to sponsor pycon-za.
>
> This sponsorship would be in the form of our expertise in helping
> international and domestic delegates to find appropriate accommodation.
> Go2Africa would find the best and most cost-effective accommodation, prepare
> travel plans, and offer travel advice where required.
>
> We would also like to offer a fully paid (or seriously discounted) Safari
> for the keynote speaker. If not fully sponsored, then perhaps pycon-za could
> pay for the discounted rate as a gift?
>

> In terms of Keynote, I saw that Paul Graham's name was suggested. PG is a
> fantastic speaker [2], but perhaps consider a speaker who is more involved
> in core Python development?

I think I would also lean in the direction of someone more directly
involved with Python, but lets see who responds. A big name would have
the advantage of pulling in non-Python people though (and thus
introducing them to Python). Largely this is going to come down to
budget and who wants to talk.

> I also noticed that you are considering multiple tracks. May I suggest you
> consider a one-track event, especially for the first Conference?
> Single-track conferences tend to be easier to organise, and delegates don't
> have to make difficult choices between the great talks on offer.

The feeling so far has been that the local Python community's
interests are quite diverse and that we'll be better able to cater to
the wide interests by providing more talk slots.

> Have you finalised the venue?

Not yet.

> See you at CTPUG on Saturday. Have a great day.

See you there.