[Pycon2005-attendees] shared lodging for conference

Mark Hertel mhertel at aptima.com
Sat Mar 19 21:36:22 CET 2005

On Sat, Mar 19, 2005 at 12:34:48PM -0700, Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 12:34:16PM -0600, Jeff Bauer wrote:
> >If anyone is looking for a roommate and has a motel
> >room within walking distance of the conference, please
> >contact me.  Thanks.
>
> A few comments:
>
>    Staying close to GWU is EXPENSIVE.  Last year we stayed at the hotel at
>    1 George Washington Circle, and got a really good deal, something like
>    $125/night.  This year it was more like $200 and at night the ice
>    weasels came.  The hospital is right across the street and, particularly
>    on the weekend nights the ambuilances kept us up all night.
>
>    The Metro is great, so it's more important to stay close to a Metro stop
>    than to stay within walking distance.  The Metro stop is 2 blocks from
>    GWU.  You want the Foggy Bottom Metro stop.
>
> Sean

I second what Sean is saying -- using the metro to get to the
conference allows for getting a hotel farther away and therefore
at a cheaper rate. Last year I decided to attend pretty late and
could only find something affordable in Silver Springs MD - but
hotel was a block from a metro stop and it never took more than
30 minutes to get to GWU.

--Mark