[DB-SIG] Re: [Pycon2005-attendees] Pycon2005 and database divide (ODB vs relational DB)

Patrick K. O'Brien pobrien at orbtech.com
Sun Mar 27 00:41:57 CET 2005

Peter Mott wrote:
> I always understood that the weakness of Object Databases was that they
> provided no general ad hoc query language like SQL (or QUEL) though there
> was no a priori reason why they couldn't. The way relational databases were
> grounded in 1st order predicate logic (FOPC) seemed to give them an
> advantage which Object Databases despite announcements and languages to the
> contrary never quite manageed to overcome. I do know that the Relational
> Model is based on the logic of Frege (1879), the predicate logic, while the
> object model harks back to the IS_A hierarchies underpinning the logic of
> Aristotle (300 BC). I checked out the orbtech URL but found nothing about
> languages, logic or even taxonomies. So give us more evidence that the world
> has changed! It has been long announced but has not happened. Frege rules.

The proof is in the pudding.  There is much misinformation in the world
and especially in the academic publications on this topic.  I don't have
the time or interest in correcting that.  I want to build tools that
work.  Other people can follow up with the theory about why they work.
I've already read too many theoretical papers that said what I've
already done with Schevo couldn't be done.  Never piss off an Irishman
by telling him something can't be done.  He might just go and do it
anyway.  ;-)

--
Patrick K. O'Brien
Orbtech    http://www.orbtech.com