[Pydotorg-redesign] /psa/ bad link, site redesign progress...

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Tue Aug 5 09:49:52 EDT 2003

FYI, for the people tackling the /psa/ section, see the attached note.

Things seem to have quieted down substantially.  Can I take that to mean
people are busily working on sections of the redesign?  If not, now that we
seem to have identified some candidate look-n-feel's, how about working on
some overall structure issues?  What stays?  What goes?  What's new?

I believe one of the more confusing sections of the site for many people is
the download section.  For instance, while the front /download/ page isn't
too bad, once you dive into a particular section, you're treated with a lot
of text and have to pick out the version you want from it, and maybe jump
off to other sites to get MacPython or Sean Reifschneider's Red Hat RPMs.  I
think a tabular layout without any extraneous text would work better.

    File               Platform                  Signature
    Python-2.3.exe     Windows binary            [signature link]
    Python-2.3.tgz     Source, all platforms     [signature link]

Also, note that Jack Jansen has redesigned his MacPython pages to use
ht2html and look structurally like the current python.org site.  I think
it would be best for his separate site to be folded into the main site.  (I
believe that's his goal.)  At that point, his various Mac versions would
also be made available in the above proposed table.

Another thought while I'm rambling...  Solaris tar (at least) has trouble
with long paths in the Mac section of the tar file.  The current
recommendation is that they use GNU tar.  Perhaps a better move would be to
switch to Zip files.  I suspect zip is more widely available than tar, and
may not suffer from the path length problems some tar implementations have.

Skip