[Pydotorg] RE: [Pydotorg-redesign] The Zope question

Dylan Reinhardt python at dylanreinhardt.com
Sat Aug 9 00:50:29 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-08-08 at 16:13, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> I applaud and
> worship the pydotorg and webmaster team for doing such a great job on
> the content.

No doubt.  Cheers!

> Any CMS is going to require more care and feeding and certainly a lot of
> effort to get installed and running (witness new.zope.org).

The problem with new.zope.org is pretty unique.

Long before Zope *had* CMS tools zope.org had hacked together their
own.  The real pain of the NZO migration has been the process of
bringing all that old stuff forward into the modern era.

The process ran longer than they expected and still has a few bugs left
in the collector.  It's been embarrassing, frankly.  But it's not
indicative of what challenges a new system would face.

>   I'm not
> advocating against it, but we need to be realistic about how much effort
> we can collectively put into this, given that we're all squeezing in
> volunteer time.

What if I offered to stop pestering the list with hypothetical
situations and organized a few Zope hackers to cook up a prototype?

I'm envisioning a howto/whitepaper system that could *supplement* the
existing python.org, should it be deemed worthy of such a task.  I'd be
happy to handle hosting until such time as it is integrated into the
official site offerings.

Any interest?

Dylan