[Pydotorg-redesign] Domain-specific content

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sun Aug 10 02:25:04 EDT 2003

On Sat, Aug 09, 2003, Dylan Reinhardt wrote:

> Let's say I have a moderately clever 10-line recipe for solving an
> uncommon but difficult problem.  It's nothing brilliant, but other
> people might benefit from seeing it.
>
> You would never think to ask me if I had something to submit to
> www.python.org because you don't know me and couldn't possibly be
> familiar with what I'm working on (though by now, you are no doubt
> beginning to suspect it has something to do with Zope).   :-)
>
> What if there were a place where small (but useful) things could be
> stored and actually *found*?  Well, I'd put my recipe *there* instead,
> wouldn't I?  So would other people who had recipes, tips, links, book
> reviews, opinions, and other things that are useful but not important or
> weighty enough (individually) to work into the current site.

Just in case there's anyone on this list who doesn't know the correct
answer to this example:
http://pythoncookbook.activestate.com/

(Yes, I agree that we should move python.org in this direction.)

This is Python.  We don't care much about theory, except where it intersects
with useful practice.  --Aahz