[Pydotorg-redesign] Some quick observations and ideas about the current site

Dylan Reinhardt python at dylanreinhardt.com
Mon Aug 11 02:40:06 EDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-08-10 at 16:00, Aahz wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2003, Oktay Safak wrote:
> >
> > - Serif fonts (like Arial, Verdana etc.) are easier to read on screen and
> > look more modern and elegant. A switch to serif fonts would be nice.
>
> I'm opposed to using the web as a substitute for PDF.  All browsers have
> the ability to specify fonts of the user's choice; it's not our place to
> muck with that.

Using CSS to specify a font (and gracefully degrading to a font family)
isn't much of an imposition... really, it's just a recommendation.
Users who choose to specify their own fonts can easily override CSS
recommendations, particularly if we stick to common tags like <P>.

Font specification seems justified if it provides an enhanced experience
for most visitors and an undiminished experience for all others.

$.02,

Dylan