[Pydotorg-redesign] Some quick observations and ideas about the current site

Richard Jones richardjones at optushome.com.au
Mon Aug 11 10:50:40 EDT 2003

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 07:24 am, Oktay Safak wrote:
> - http://www.python.org/topics/learn/ page's "Looking for a particular
> Python module or application?" section recommends PyPI as the first choice
> but it's not very crowded there yet (188 packages), so a message on the
> PyPI page like "the index is still new, there are many many packages not
> listed here yet etc." would be good from a marketing POV. A newcomer going
> there and saying "only 188 packages?" is *bad* marketing.

Wow, there's 188 packages already! Python 2.3 (the first python with built-in
PyPI support :) was only just released...

> - PyPI "tree of packages" page is looks very crowded and ugly. Needs better
> style.

Quite open to suggestions here... The code is at http://pypi.sf.net/ if you
wish to play with it (I can provide the current package database for
testing).

> - There are many multiple entries in that 188. (i.e. ZODB has 8) Can the
> different versions be shown on a new page after a click on the ZODB link?

The problem here is that package authors are free to apply any bizzare version
numbering scheme they wish to their packages, so figuring out the most recent
entry can be .. fun :)

Also, some package authors (myself included) wish to have several versions
appear in the index at once - a stable version and a development version (or
three as the case may be).

To this end, I opted to use the sourceforge approach of retaining all
versions, but allowing the package maintainer to hide older versions. Those
don't appear in any browsing or searching, but it requires that the package
maintainer hide them. So far, I'm getting a mixed level of buy-in on this.
I've been considering sending out emails to people who have more than four or
five visible versions...

   Richard