[Pydotorg-redesign] Rearranging the python.org sidebar (again!)

Matt Goodall matt at pollenation.net
Tue Aug 12 11:56:54 EDT 2003

Oktay Safak wrote:

>"Brett C." <bac at OCF.Berkeley.EDU> wrote:
>

>>Now I have a question about acronyms.  Currently there is a link to IDLE
>>and PEPs.  Newbies will have no clue what either are.  IDLE
>>unfortunately looks like an acronym.  Perhaps we can change the link to
>>"IDLE editor" or something to make it more obvious what IDLE is?  And as
>>for PEPs, we should just spell it out and put the acronym in parentheses
>>like the PSF is done on.
>>

>Tool-tips might be a good option here.

We tend to scan web pages very quickly with our eyes so I doubt tooltips
will help much here. Tooltips are great for providing additional
information about a link the reader has already seen but are not so good
for catching their attention in the first place.

What about "Builtin IDE (IDLE)" and "Enhancement Proposals"? Perhaps
with tooltips to describe them in more detail if that is useful.

I'm not even sure these links should be so prominent anyway. IDLE should
be mentioned in the tutorials, in a bullet point list of Python
strengths/features and in the list of editors. PEPs are only really of
interest to more advanced users so they'll already know exactly where to
find them.

As an aside, I really think that the top-left part of the nav needs to
be **completely** set aside for finding out about Python, particularly
for welcoming beginners.

- Matt

--
Matt Goodall, Pollenation Internet Ltd