[Pydotorg-redesign] Rearranging the python.org sidebar (again!)

Oktay Safak oktaysafak at ixir.com
Tue Aug 12 15:26:39 EDT 2003

"Matt Goodall" <matt at pollenation.net> wrote:

> Oktay Safak wrote:
> >Tool-tips might be a good option here.

> We tend to scan web pages very quickly with our eyes so I doubt tooltips
> will help much here.

Agreed.

> Tooltips are great for providing additional
> information about a link the reader has already seen but are not so good
> for catching their attention in the first place.

Well, the three major links that are acronyms are IDLE, SIGs and PEPs, I
guess. SIGs and PEPs aren't likely to be of interest to a newcomer so
tool-tips would provide enough explanation for them. IDLE is the one that we
need to make more prominent here. A tool-tip (even a somewhat long one)
would help but I agree that it should catch attention during a visual scan.
"IDLE: Python IDE" or your suggestion would be nice but I think a link
should be short enough to fit in one line on the left nav-bar.

So, I think, in addition to the above mentioned methods and better
placement, we should be using stylistic difference for links that we want to
stand out from the rest while making sure that this doesn't impact the page
design negatively. Exactly what those would be up to the visual designer. If
that can be done properly, this will even result in a richer visual
experience.

> What about "Builtin IDE (IDLE)" and "Enhancement Proposals"? Perhaps
> with tooltips to describe them in more detail if that is useful.

Yep. See above.

Regards,

Oktay