[Pydotorg-redesign] Advocacy directory

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Tue Aug 12 12:52:41 EDT 2003

[I'm assuming this was intended to be public, so I'm responding publicly
and quoting the whole thing, reformatting for easier reading.]

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003, Tim Parkin wrote:
> Aahz said
>>
>>I'm about to set up a directory for placing marketing material, to go
>>with a new top-level link called "Why Python?".  I'm currently leaning
>>toward making the directory name /why/; other good options would
>>probably be /marketing/ or /advocacy/ .  Comments?
>
> I'm not sure what sort of marketing material is intended to be
> stored there. If it's promotional material then it could be a press
> section. If it's case studies the a case studies section.
>
> "Why Python?" seems too generic as in 'Why do we use python', 'Why
> should you use python', 'Why does python exist', or it could be an
> "About.." item. It may be better to name the links corresponding to
> the reason why people are at the site,i.e. assuming that they wish to
> answer a questions or solve a problem.

I'm concentrating on the first level first.  As I've said earlier, I
think most newcomers to www.python.org are probably people who've heard
about Python from somewhere else.  I think a prominent link named "Why
Python?" will attract their attention.  Once there, there should be
links to additional information depending on what they're looking for.

> It seems there would be three possible reasons why people would want
> this material
>
> i) convince other people that Python is the right choice
> ii) convince themselves that it's the right choice
> iii) write articles for magazines, newspapers etc
>
> The first two are very dependant on the audience as the pitch would
> be very different to a developer than to a manager (and for different
> skill/experience levels).  The last is a more niche section and would
> consists of promotional material, press releases and pictures.

OTOH, the overall information is similar for the first two.  Let's not
waste time micro-managing the message at this point.

> My suggestion would be
>
> About
> - For beginners
> - For developers
> - For business
>
> And possibly
>
> - Press

This can all go into "Why Python?" quite easily.  "About" doesn't
attract attention the same way, IMO, and I don't think the "For..."
links belong on the front page.

This is Python.  We don't care much about theory, except where it intersects
with useful practice.  --Aahz