[Pydotorg-redesign] Rearranging the python.org sidebar (again!)

Tim Parkin tim.parkin at pollenationinternet.com
Tue Aug 12 17:54:51 EDT 2003

Aahz said
>I'm about to set up a directory for placing marketing material, to go
>with a new top-level link called "Why Python?".  I'm currently leaning
>toward making the directory name /why/; other good options would
>probably be /marketing/ or /advocacy/ .  Comments?

I'm not sure what sort of marketing material is intended to be stored
there. If it's promotional material then it could be a press section. If
it's case studies the a case studies section. Otherwise ?

"Why Python?" seems too generic as in 'Why do we use python', 'Why
should you use python',
'Why does python exist', or it could be an "About.." item. It
may be better to name the links corresponding to the reason why people
are
at the site,i.e. assuming that they wish to answer a questions or solve
a problem.

It seems there would be three possible reasons why people would want
this material

i) convince other people that Python is the right choice
ii) convince themselves that it's the right choice
iii) write articles for magazines, newspapers etc

The first two are very dependant on the audience as the pitch would
be very different to a developer than to a manager (and for different
skill/experience levels).
The last is a more niche section and would consists of promotional
material, press releases and pictures.

My suggestion would be

About
- For beginners