[Pydotorg-redesign] Design, Logo's, Images

Just van Rossum just at letterror.com
Wed Aug 13 12:18:35 EDT 2003

I've been lurking here for a while and I must say I'm quite happy people
are still mostly concentrating on the contents and organization of the
site. I'd be happy to contribute some time working on the actual design
and I'm sure I can convince my LettError buddy Erik to do the same.

There's no reason to stick with anything (typo)graphically that's
currently on the site, so it's rather silly to argue about those
"rotating logos". I still think they are cute (btw they're created
randomly by a Python script, some of the *fonts* used are created with
Python scripts; they've never been meant as logos, they're just
decoration, symbolizing Python's dynamics if you will). The pixeled
Python logo I also still find cute. But I also think it's time for
something new. But more than anything, (graphic) design by committee
sucks. One person or one small group should create a new design (I'm
talking about the site as a whole, not the just logo), and the community
will have to live with the fact that it will not be to everyone's taste
(for example I'm sure we wouldn't be able to agree what it means for a
site to look "professional"). There can be competing proposals, but the
final choice will either have to made by Guido, or a (very) small group
of people that he assigns.

It seems that an earlier attempt (from us) at a new Python logo has been
mostly forgotten. It's still on line here:

  http://just.letterror.com/pythonlogo/

Perhaps we'll revive it for the new site, or abandon it altogether and
create something new. But the site is most important, and how it's
organized should indeed be priority number one.

Just