[Pydotorg-redesign] Design, Logo's, Images

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Wed Aug 13 11:05:27 EDT 2003

[tim parkin]
> Just said:
> > I've been lurking here for a while and I must say I'm quite happy
> > people are still mostly concentrating on the contents and
> organization
>
> > of the site. I'd be happy to contribute some time working on the
> actual
> > design and I'm sure I can convince my LettError buddy Erik
> to do the
> > same.
>
> It's cool that the design can have a group of people discussing it.
> Would you mind taking a look at the designs on the wiki at the moment
> and making a couple of comments?
>
> Heres the main links to save time
>
> http://www.pollenation.net/assets/public/index_rounded.html
> http://www.pollenation.net/assets/public/index.html
> http://styx.livinglogic.de/~walter/www.python.org-converted/

I still like index-rounded.html Overall the look is a little bit
"PHP-nuke"-ish, but it works. The second pollenation page is second
favorite. The third page appears to me rather "heavy" on the left, so
the links distract form the main content.

> > But I also think it's time for something new. But more than
> anything,
> > (graphic) design by committee sucks. One person or one small group
> > should create a new design (I'm talking about the site as a
> whole, not
>
> > the just logo), and the community will have to live with
> the fact that
>
> > it will not be to everyone's taste (for example I'm sure we wouldn't
> be
> > able to agree what it means for a site to look
> "professional"). There
> > can be competing proposals, but the final choice will
> either have to
> > made by Guido, or a (very) small group of people that he assigns.
>
> I totally agree, having worked for various graphic design agencies
> (albeit not in a direct design role) the worst results have
> always been
> when all of the customer board of directors want a part of the design
> and all the best ones where a small group has had a free hand in
> producing the designs and the committee has made decisions on
> favourites
> where this is appropriate and advisable.

Yes, I recently suggested that Guido should decree what the process was
going to be, he's far too busy with security matters for this (though it
's nice to see he's reading the list). Guido?

> > It seems that an earlier attempt (from us) at a new Python logo has
> > been mostly forgotten.
>
> I'd seen the logo and wondered what it was for, I like it but but not
> certain if the colours are what people want. It's also quite
> playful but
> I'm not sure if that's typical of the space in which Python should be
> positioned. I've put together a few logos of other companies/langauges
> in a similar space here and straight after a sample of logos
> that offer
> a similar image.
>
> http://pollenation.net/assets/public/samples.gif
> http://pollenation.net/assets/public/similar.gif
>
> While we're batting things about, what do you think of these
> possibles?
>
> http://pollenation.net/assets/public/pydotorg-redesign/python-
logo-test.
gif

And here is one of them on a website

http://www.pollenation.net/assets/public/index_rounded_logo3.html

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

FWIW, I like the fifth one down in logo-test.gif. The color is Pythonic
and the font is clean and (dare I say) "professional"-looking.

Rather than the current loop, however, could we try a snake eating its
own tail, Ouroboros-like, but in a figure-of-eight shape (not sure how a
blue snake is going to look, but my color judgment is nil anyway).

Tim, I think almost any of the suggested changes would represent a great
increase in the site's attractiveness and readability, and I hope that
you are allowed to proceed with a visual redesign with all possible
speed.

regards
--
Steve Holden                                 http://www.holdenweb.com/