[Pydotorg-redesign] Design, Logo's, Images

Matt Goodall matt at pollenation.net
Wed Aug 13 19:05:38 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 18:25, Walter Dörwald wrote:
> Matt Goodall wrote:
>
> > If possible, I think we should aim for _no_ folding at all although that
> > depends on just how many links are needed in the menu.
>
> What does that mean?

That, if possible, the whole menu for the whole site should always be
visible, i.e. no magically appearing and disappearing bits. It's a goal
that I think would help the site's navigation, nothing more that that.

> > I think if the menu gets 2 levels deep then it's too deep. Also, the
> > more levels there are, the shorter the link text can be - the menu needs
> > to be as thin as possible to leave room for the actual content.
>
> We already have three levels: The homepage is level 0, "About" is
> level 1 and "About">"For Beginners" is level 2.

My mistake, I meant _more than_ 2 levels deep.

> >>What happens on lower levels (if we ever have them)?
> >
> > I don't even want to think about that ;-).
>
> So "Home">"Documentation">"Library Reference" )or
> "Home">"Developers">"PEPs") is only one page and doesn't have any
> subpages?

I hope I haven't misunderstood what you mean but ...

Sure they can have subpages but is there any need to clutter the
navigation menu up with them? I would have thought it better to have a
"proper" table of contents for those particular pages which is what both
the Library Reference and PEPs pages have today.

There is also the breadcrumb trail to use for deeper navigation and to
give the reader that sense of where they are. For instance, if you're
deep in the Library Reference documentation then the menu would be:

  About
     For beginners
  Download
> Documentation
     Tutorials
   > Library Reference

and the breadcrumb trail would be:

Home > Documentation > Library Reference > Built-in Objects > Built-in
Exceptions

Hope that explains things a bit better. It always seems so obvious when
I'm the one doing the typing ;-).

- Matt

--
Matt Goodall, Pollenation Internet Ltd