[Pydotorg-redesign] Some logo attempts

Oktay Safak oktaysafak at ixir.com
Thu Aug 14 19:53:48 EDT 2003

Hi everybody,

I tried to capture some ideas of mine for a new logo. You can see them at:

http://www.geocities.com/oktay_safak/python.jpg

I had many constraints in mind but to summarize: The new logo needs to
convey Python's character and traits: a modern, elegant, simple yet
beautiful, lean but powerful programming language.(As Guido pointed out, a
design needs character and an appropriate one) The designs are meant to be
friendly and eye-catching for newcomers to the language, as well as making a
strong professional impression on enterprise software business manager -
types (decision makers). Since the logo will have a big influence in
dictating other elements of design on the road to designing a new site and
finding a matching visual identity for Python, it has to be simple and
flexible and it should offer variety. Blah, blah, blah...

As you'll see, they are mostly variations on a theme. Lack of time...
Different avenues should be explored too.

The spiral is a logarithmic spiral but it's there just as an idea and I
didn't have the time to work on it or on something else that's better. I
hope I'll have some free time in the weekend, then I'll give it another go.
It's supposed to represent the above mentioned qualities of Python as well
as representing Python's steady growth and accelerating march to excellence
:-P if you take it, that's ;-P (reality: It's there because it's a neat
symbol)

Suggestions and criticisms welcome.

Regards,

Oktay