[Pydotorg-redesign] Dropping language comparisons

Kevin Altis altis at semi-retired.com
Mon Aug 18 13:15:09 EDT 2003

> From: Skip Montanaro
>
>     amk> If marketing-python wants to someday write something,
> fine, but for
>     amk> now IMHO this page should simply be dropped.  Objections?
>
> No particular objections except to note that the issue of language
> comparisons does come up from time-to-time.  (It's a relevant question to
> ask if you're coming to Python from some other language.)
>
> This sounds like Wiki material to me.  Perhaps we should solicit
> a volunteer
> from c.l.py to create and manage a section of the Wiki devoted to language
> comparisons.

This question is raised so frequently, that despite some of the material
being old, it is better than nothing. So I vote for leaving the Comparisons
page in place and updating if possible, dropping any links that seem
particularly misleading. Last week Stephen Ferg posted a new doc:

"Java and Python Side-by-Side Comparison - discusses the reasons why
programmers can be more productive in Python than in Java."

  http://www.ferg.org/projects/python_java_side-by-side.html

There are also some relatively new pro Python articles like

Which Language Do You Recommend? by Paul Baranowski

  http://peek-a-booty.org/Docs/WhichLanguageDoYouRecommend.htm

We have to have something to point people at and it is easier to modify than
to create something from scratch.

ka