[Pydotorg-redesign] Tweaking the top page

Kevin Altis altis at semi-retired.com
Mon Jul 14 11:15:26 EDT 2003

> From: Aahz
>
> On Sat, Jul 12, 2003, Steve Holden wrote:
> >
> > Why not a left-=hand and a right-hand sidebar. I'm currently looking at
> > a redesing of my own site, don't know whether it might inspire any
> > thoughts for pydotorg:
> >
> > 	http://www.insigniodesign.com/holdenweb/scaled/
>
> Mainly 'cause it doesn't look so great in Lynx.  ;-)  (The second
> sidebar is at the bottom of the page -- which is okay if it's really a
> secondary sidebar.)

I know you winked, but seriously, I would rather that we use CSS and/or
serve the home page based on client to support browsers like Lynx, rather
than design for the lowest common denominator. The home page is a
special-case, so if we do end up using a three column layout on the home
page, that doesn't have to be used on the rest of the site.

That said, if a three column layout is used, then the minimum width of the
browser window needs to be taken into consideration. The php.net layout
seems to adjust better than the .NET and Holden layouts.

  http://www.microsoft.com/net/

  http://www.php.net/

ka