[Pydotorg-redesign] Graphic redesign

Walter Dörwald walter at livinglogic.de
Fri Jul 18 00:56:24 EDT 2003

Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:

> Walter Dörwald writes:
>  > Converting this look to HTML isn't difficult, as long as we can use
>  > CSS. (But of course the web site must be usable with Netscape 4,
>  > it just doesn't have to look identical IMHO).
>  >
>  > I'll try to do an HTML version over the weekend.
>
> Cool!

Done and available at:
http://styx.livinglogic.de/~walter/www.python.org/

Note that Netscape 4 doesn't understand the media attribute for the
stylesheet, so Netscape 4 doesn't pick up the stylesheet at all.

I've tested the site with Mozilla 1.4, IE 6, Opera 7 under Windows
and links and lynx under Linux.

Navigation hierarchy is defined only once and is generated
automatically. Furthermore <link> tags are provided to ease navigation
with text browsers.

As this was done with XIST (http://www.livinglogic.de/Python/xist/)
it should be possible to do a HTML version of Matt Goodall's suggestion
(http://www.pollenation.net/assets/public/python_pollen.gif)
pretty easily.

The source for this demo is available at
http://styx.livinglogic.de/~walter/www.python.org/site.tar.gz

> [...]
> We use a little hack called "HT2HTML", which exists primarily to
> support python.org.  (That's certainly why it was created.)
>
> As long as "the look" is something like lots of boilerplate and
> navigation surrounding a one or two bits of content (the "body" and
> "continuation" sections), it shouldn't be hard to support the new
> look.  A new generator class would be needed, but that's it, and isn't
> all that difficult.
>
> Information on HT2HTML can be found at:
 >
 >     http://ht2html.sourceforge.net/

Sounds like it's rather simple to convert the source for www.python.org
to XIST, if this is an option we want to consider.

> [...]
>
>  > need to do a lot of content cleanup in addition to the graphic redesign.
>
> I think this is a completely separate issue, and can be done
> independently.  Cleanup can happen at any time.
>
>  > We've been sort-of assuming that we'll switch to Zope3 once that gets
>  > released.
>
> Oh.  I didn't know that.

Combining Zope and XIST would be an interesting exercise. ;)

Source files would be XML instead of HTML. XIST generates all
static page content and simply passes through the dynamic content
stuff (as long as this can be put into XML, which Zope new
templating stuff can AFAICT)

Bye,
    Walter Dörwald