[Pydotorg-redesign] Graphic redesign

Walter Dörwald walter at livinglogic.de
Fri Jul 18 21:07:09 EDT 2003

Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:

> Walter Dörwald writes:
>  > OK, then we could use an XML file for that. But this file has to be
>  > parsed by a Python script. Why not instantiate the data structure
>  > directly?
>
> It could be XML, or it could be something else.
>
> Keeping the data separate from the structure allows the data to be
> used in different ways more easily.

If you have a parser that parser the data file and can regenerate
the data file and it's possible the instantiate the data structure
directly, there shouldn't be any difference.

>  > I was using one global structure for the complete site.
>
> Hmm.
>
>  > This ties the site structure to the directory structure.
>  > Whether this is good or bad is a different topic.
>
> I don't think we want the two to be too different; it makes it more
> difficult to maintain the site from a CVS checkout.

Of course this should be used as an obsfuscation device. But it would
allow has to move files aroung in the sitemap without having to move
them in the file system and vice versa. Even links in the content
area could use this sitemap addressing scheme.

>  > > There are also huge chunks of content that are simply dropped into
>  > > place, outside of CVS.  (Gasp!)
>  >
>  > Does this content bypass HT2HTML?
>
> Yes.  The Python online docs are just a pile of finished HTML pages
> that get unpacked into the live site.

This doesn't sound like a problem per se.

>  > This shouldn't be a problem as long as source and build/install
>  > directory are different.
>
> Maybe.  There are specific issues with regard to directories like
> doc/2.2.3/ -- the pre-built HTML and the site built from .ht files
> contend for the index.html name, so I have to do the installation
> dance just right once we have a final release.  There are probably
> ways to fix that, though.

OK, so that's the problem. But if one installed file always overwrites
the other installed file, why not simple remove the source for the
overwritten one?

Bye,
    Walter Dörwald