[Pydotorg-redesign] Beginners thoughts

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Mon Jul 21 09:05:28 EDT 2003

Matt:

This is good information on usability (or possibly the lack of it), and
I'm sure it will help. The log is quite readable, and your summary seems
fair. Some random thoughts of my own as a result:

To my mind the most important point is that we should definitely be
targetting newcomers to the language, given that people who are already
familiar with the site don't need so much handholding, and that existing
Python users could be expected to have a higher level of motivation to
find what they want! Lots of pointers to good stuff that would be
immediately useful would be helpful.

"Welcoming" would be a good adjective to target for the home page, and
after that the most significant change would be stylistic and
navigational consistency.

I've experimented in the past with expanding/tree-like navigation
features, and I'm now much more in favor of a fixed set of top-level
navigations elements, with variable second-level links in a separate
(though hopefully related) position on the page.

Also, shouldn't we have links somewhere to the many significant
applications written in Python? The Vaults of Parnassus are definitely
geek-level, so while they're useful to a net-head they are no use to a
beginner. One possible qualification for being listed in this link-set
would be the presence of an installer, so people could run them without
even having loaded Python.

It might be a good idea to collect a few more impressions like your
sister's...

regards
--
Steve Holden                                 http://www.holdenweb.com/