[Pydotorg-redesign] Logo question

Todd Grimason todd at slack.net
Wed Jul 23 13:40:57 EDT 2003

Hello,

I've been quietly observing here, as I arrived late, but I do have a quick question at the moment:

I had assumed (yes I know the problems with that ;-) that the python logo was sort of a 'sacred cow', and not a candidate for modification. I see now someone asked about this on c.l.py and figured I'd ask you guys explicitly - is this the case?

While I actually like the logo, it is (unsurprisingly) very consistent with Just van Rossum's company "house style", (http://www.letterror.com/), which while well-done, I think it's safe to say it's not really something to make a business case to a CTO with.

In short, I don't think it's "professional" or corporate-looking enough. I know, I know, python is fun, and we don't want to cower before the corporate titans, but I feel improving this and the general feel of the site would be a great help overall for the language.

While some developers may cringe at a "corporatized" look, I think they'll deal with it and put up with it much more readily than a decision-making CTO will tolerate a "playful, non-serious" looking site. And, if done well, we can retain most of the flavor, while "buttoning up" a bit for the suits.

Thoughts? Maybe this is an area for longer-term discussion/development, along with the "some day" re-IA? From what I've followed so far this current push is more along the lines of a refresh, and streamlining for content updates(?)

--

toddgrimason*todd at slack.net