[Pydotorg-redesign] Draft HTML for redesign proposal

Tim Parkin tim at pollenation.net
Sat Oct 11 06:55:44 EDT 2003

>> Heres the first stab at HTML for the python redesign.
>> http://pollenation.net/assets/public/draft-oct10.html
>In general, I like this design - it's nice and clean. A few points:
>1. Please remove the font sizing for the main body text

Hmm... not sure why you want this as the current text size is adjustable
via the browser menu *and* is also larger than the current default python
text size. I am going to be looking at adding an accessibility style
switcher that will allow you to change the default stylesheet, offering a
few options including a different size text. This will need javascript and
also cookies if you want it to remember the settings. A comparison of the
text sizes between redesign and existing site at default is here :-

  http://pollenation.net/assets/public/text-comparison.gif

I may be adjusting body text colour to make it slightly darker (although
this is the recommended contrast for reading, I think some monitors will
show this at a lower contrast than others).

>2. Not sure what the "dev" link in the top bar is...

Have a look at
http://pollenation.net/assets/public/python-developer-oct05.png for a
preliminary idea of what the developer link would be. It's intended as a
home for python developers (not python language developers, that confusion
needs to be addressed separately). Theres a lot of thinking behind doing
this that I won't go into here.

>3. "Download" and "documentation" are present twice in the sidebar. Surely
>   only one instance of each would be enough (I'd advocate the lower
>   instance of both)

I wanted to have deep links that jump straight to popular pages. These can
be adjusted if we find out that people use other links. We don't want to
adjust the main menu all the time however. The quick links might change
depending on what section you are in (if you are in the downloads section
it may show the main downloads. In mailing lists, the most popular lists)
It's a way of getting quick links on the left hand bar, where people scan
first, without messing with the main menu.

Tim