[Pydotorg-redesign] Draft HTML for redesign proposal

Tim Parkin tim at pollenation.net
Sun Oct 12 09:56:09 EDT 2003

Laura :
>I like
>a lot as well.  Indeed, I think its wonderful.

:-)

>..I still would like the google text input window to be wider, all over
>the top of the page, so that the search-widget-thing started, say
>just over the I in DB-API.

I don't know where that would be as the search box is referenced to the
rhs and the db-api to the lhs. I'll make it as big as I think the design
can get away with.. Just as a matter of interest, what is the problem
with having smaller search box windows?

Just comparing sizes of other major sites :-

 Google                 : 208 px
 BBC Homepage           : 180 px
*Proposed Search Width  : 170 px
 Amazon.co.uk           : 168 px
 Php                    : 162 px
*Current Search Width   : 154 px
 Developer Works        : 123 px
 Java.sun.com           : 112 px
 News.bbc.co.uk         : 95  px

I'll up it to 170px as any more than that and the python logo and the
search box will collide at 640 wide (a browser width near to that which
many people with larger monitors use whilst arranging multiple windows).
As a side not, this size is also 15% bigger than Jakob Nielsen's
Recommendations for search box width.

>I'm not so fond of the blue hook at the edge of the search->thing which
>makes it look like a can-opener to me, but all I want to do is mention
>that once -- I don't dislike it a lot, and not enough to fuss.

You'll have to enlighten me as I can't work out what that might be..
Heres a screenshot of what I get.

http://pollenation.net/assets/public/screenshot-oct12.gif

I presume it's a browser bug of some sort. If you can send a screenshot
of what you have a your browsers type, browser version and operating
system that would be great.

>I will fuss about typing window size in search-things.  I want more
>room, or a good explanation why I shouldn't get it.

I've not problem about making it bigger in this case but would love to
know why you see it as so important. Taking the java page as an example,
what problems do you feel the small search window causes or what
limitations does it place on you? I just want to learn as a convincing
argument in any situation is always useful.

Tim