[Pydotorg-redesign] Draft HTML for redesign proposal

Laura Creighton lac at strakt.com
Tue Oct 14 08:44:54 EDT 2003

My laptop died yesterday.  The screen is shot.  I'm sorry, but I cannot
help you any more ....  at least until I can see if I can get it repaired.
SInce I hate the thing, I am sort of hoping _not_ ...

YOu may have fixed the rendering problem by removing the one user
who had it.  Boy, do I need to learn that trick for some customers of
mine.  :-)

Laura

In a message of Tue, 14 Oct 2003 08:29:04 BST, "Tim Parkin" writes:
>Laura:

>>I just tried it under konquerer, and it looks really bad.  I've got to
>>learn a way to send you the bits of my screen so you can see it, but it
>>is nothing like what you are asking for ...
>I can tweak things a little when we get some feedback as theres no point
>making too many small tweaks only to find out that something needs
>changing
>and have to go through the whole process again.
>
>The konquerer version you are using in debian stable is 2.2.2 which is 2
>years old and did have many css rendering problems. I'll still have a
>try to get it usable if possible but can't promise anything. How would
>it seem if I used a javascript method for checking for konqueror 2 and
>used an alternative stylesheet. This stylesheet could be selected
>manualy for people with javascript disabled. This would offer a custom
>stylesheet in the same vein as netscape 4. I think this method could be
>used to extend the usabilty of the site to close to 100% of users,
>albeit with a manual intervention needed for a very small percentage
>(automatically applied for those with javascript enabled).

I use mozilla and firebird for me, so I don't care about konqueror myself.
But I think that it is well used, so I wanted to see how it looked, and
it wasn't good ...

>I've also been trying out something else which is not polished yet but
>wanted to know what people think.
>
>http://pollenation.net/assets/public/collapsetest

Interesting, now I get the canopener effect at work too.  You not
getting it?

>The left hand menu has a collapse text. I don't currently like this
>positioning. As it would only really be used at the "document" level, I
>thought it could be added to the rhs document level navigation box. It
>would also have an associated 'hot key' so power users wouldn't need a
>menu item at all. Oh and theres not 'back to default size' on the make
>text larger link.
>
>Tim

Really making this window very narrow is --- odd.  But I'm not saying that
it is wrong.  more 'interesting' to me .... i might get perverse and like it.

Laura