[Pydotorg-redesign] Draft HTML for redesign proposal

Tim Parkin tim at pollenation.net
Fri Oct 17 12:03:37 EDT 2003

Guido:
>> As for fonts, although a lot of people liked verdana, almost as many
>> preferred arial.
>
>I do most of my browsing on a Linux box (Red Hat 7.3), and so do many
>other existing and potential Python users.  Those fonts don't exist
>there.  Therefore I'm not sure that picking fonts should be too much
>of an issue at this point.

The linux platform core fonts don't really provide a choice that people
can have strong opinions about. Lucida on X11 is awful leaving only
Helvetica. Other than this, many people install extra fonts on their
system and, in doing so, install the windows core fonts or the bitstream
vera fonts.

The reason for the conversation was that these fonts present quite
diverse ranges of condensed/expanded, x-heights and densities. Arial and
verdana represent the extremes of both of these and are the most common
fonts available to Python users (over 70% of users on Windows systems,
18% on Linux and 1% on Mac). It may seem anal but a little feedback can
have a siginificant affect, if only for those users who have issues with
reading.

Tim