[Pydotorg-redesign] Proposed contact page

Laura Creighton lac at strakt.com
Sat Sep 13 10:27:04 EDT 2003

In a message of Tue, 09 Sep 2003 16:25:21 EDT, "A.M. Kuchling" writes:
>Here's proposed text for a 'Contact us' page to live at
>www.python.org/contact.html .
>If we change all of the webmaster at python.org mailto links to point to
>this page instead,
>that may reduce our exposure to virus e-mails.  Reactions?
>
>--amk

I don't understand how this helps with the viruses.  (I don't disagree,
I just don't understand).

>Title: Contact Us

I would list python-list first for Python programming questions.

Then I would list

_If you are learning how to program_  join the ..

or you could do that in the reverse order, I think.

>To get help with Python programming questions, join `the tutor mailing
>list <http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/tutor>`_, a list
>especially for people learning computer programming with Python.
>Other mailing lists and newsgroups may also be helpful; see <a href=
>"community/lists.html">the guide to Python mailing lists</a> for a
>list of available forums.
>
>Programming questions can also be sent to `help at python.org
><mailto:help at python.org>`_, which is staffed by a group of volunteers
>who will provide brief answers to questions.
>
>To report problems with the python.org site (errors, broken links,
>and typos) or to make suggestions about the material on python.org,
>write to `webmaster at python.org <mailto:webmaster at python.org>`_.

My problem with the proposed solution, is that I would like to refer
to people to the various lists from other places all over the site.
For instance, if we have a CP4E whole portal, which I would like,
then I would like to invite educators who think that educating is
fun to join tutor.  I would like to get at tutor via -- looking for
community as well.

Since I don't know how this proposal is supposed to cut down on spam,
I don't know if having a separate page for tutor, which you can link
to from many places, ditto python-list is  a compatible solution, or
if it just breaks amk's fix.

The most useful page for me on python.org is a list of all the mailman
maintained mailing lists on python.org.  If this is going away, then
I will be very unhappy, and probably never able to find the right
place to mail things again.

Laura