[Pydotorg-redesign] Proposed contact page

Simon Willison cs1spw at bath.ac.uk
Sat Sep 13 14:00:14 EDT 2003

A.M. Kuchling wrote:
> Here's proposed text for a 'Contact us' page to live at
> www.python.org/contact.html .
> If we change all of the webmaster at python.org mailto links to point to
> this page instead,
> that may reduce our exposure to virus e-mails.  Reactions?

If reducing spam to the addresses listed on the site is an issue, one
technique that might prove useful would be to keep all contact emails
hidden away on a page that can only be accessed by an HTTP POST request.
Spam harvesting crawlers exclusively use GET to retrieve pages, so email
addresses on POST generated pages are inaccessible to them. I
demonstrate this technique on the contact page of my blog:

http://simon.incutio.com/contact/

I can't offer much in the way of proof that it works other than to say
that the amount of spam I receive has not noticably increased since I
made my address available on my site in this way.

Cheers,

Simon Willison