[Pydotorg-redesign] how to search the site

Tim Parkin tim.parkin at pollenationinternet.com
Tue Sep 16 11:30:59 EDT 2003

>    >> 1. Content is indexed as soon as it is added to the site.
>
>    Roy> Is this really critical?  Only an extremely tiny fraction of
the
>    Roy> site changes month to month, and new stuff tends to be
highlighted
>    Roy> in some kind of 'what's new' section on most web sites anyway.
>
>I doubt it.  Also, I believe Google's crawling is adapted to the rate
of
>change it encounters on a site over time.  I don't know if that's
considered
>at the page level, but I suspect so.  It allows the crawler to
profitably
>visit pages which change a lot.
>
>I vote for Google, at least for the time being.  Anything else seems
like a
>lot of effort at this point, for no obvious extra benefit.  I'd put a
little
>search box at the top of the left margin, right below Just's logos.

Unless we can get google to provide one of it's commercial site search
facility, the google free search takes up a lot of room. This is
presumably for googles advertising. Also you have to have the google
full web search available aswell. I'm not sure this is what we want on
the site.

Tim

Ps and example of how it might look with the latest design home page.
According to my quick scan of t's and c's we can't modify this in any
way.

http://pollenation.net/assets/public/python-google.gif