[Pydotorg-redesign] how to search the site

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Wed Sep 17 10:53:56 EDT 2003

    Laura> I'd still prefer the 'Google' IN the Search Button,

If you do anything to change the Google logo, they'd have to approve.  Of
course, you could make it an image button, but then it doesn't look like a
pokable button.

    Laura> and I would prefer the site doc starship newsgroups mailing lists
    Laura> www checkboxes below.  This would give me a nice wide search
    Laura> window, another plus.  But I also want a way to click 'get a more

I think that anything beyond searching the python.org domain or the entire
web should go on a separate search page.  As I wrote to Tim in an email
off-list:

    In general, people know what simple search boxes are for.  If there's no
    web vs. site radio button, the implication is that they search the site
    (or perhaps all sites in the domain).  If there are a pair of radio
    buttons they select between searching the web or the site/domain.  If
    you add other semantics (how will you tell them "search" is a special
    token?) I think you'll just confuse them.

Skip