[Pydotorg-redesign] What are the goals?

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Thu Sep 25 20:19:03 EDT 2003

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003, Steve Holden wrote:

> Unfortunately, as I suspect my "goal setting" email proved, if there's
> no clear feedback from the PWC the discussions on goals will be as
> fruitless as the discussions on redesign. I think we have a different
> idea of a "vision statement", though.

Probably.  But I think that while it's fair to expect the PWC to give
feedback on a packaged set of goals, I'd also suggest that it's realistic
not to expect the PWC to drive the creation of goals.  I'm suggesting
that instead of trying to get consensus on this list, each person who
wants to create a set of goals will get a hearing from the PWC.

> So far we don't appear to have got beyond the "motherhood and apple
> pie" stage, and while a lot of effort has gone into certain aspects of
> the design there hasn't been any clear statement of either the vision
> for the site or the goals we have to meet to achieve that vision.

And so far, I haven't seen even a single person step up to suggest a
coherent set of goals.  I'm not sure why you think the PWC would have
more time/energy than the group here.  It's difficult to create good
goals, but at this point it's more useful than anything else we can do.

Here.  I'll go ahead and throw something out that people can use to
agree or argue with -- but do it *ONLY* as a packaged set.  Don't bother
arguing with me about individual points:

* www.python.org is the only central web site for Python; there are no
separate domains for different pieces.

* The front page should cater to all the expected primary users: Python
newbies, management, and existing developers.

* All important information should be available within one or two clicks
off the main page.

* The web site must be accessible and readable through Lynx and other
low-end browsers, as well as with JavaScript disabled.  The site may have
optional advanced features that make it more attractive in high-end
browsers.

* No page other than explicitly labeled download or marketing pages
should take more than thirty seconds to load over a 28.8 modem: images,
stylesheets, and all.

This isn't particularly good, but it took me less than ten minutes.  It
also focuses on the user experience; it says nothing about how the site
is maintained.  Let's keep that as a separate discussion.

--Bill Harlan