[Pydotorg-redesign] Join pydotorg lists

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue Apr 6 13:56:26 CEST 2010

anatoly techtonik wrote:
> So, who do I need to ask to process the merge?

I suspect that postmaster at python.org would need to be involved in the
mechanics, though I have no idea whether there is any established
procedure for such an operation.

I doubt it's necessary to merge content given the total archive size of
pydotorg-www is less than 50 kB. Wouldn't it just be easier to post a
message on that list telling people to subscribe instead to
pydotor-redesign (whose archives are under 200 kB), and then close
pydotorg-www down?

You said in your original message:

> I'd like to propose joining pydotorg-www and pydotorg-redesign in one
> pydotorg mailing list to reduce clutter and provide single point of
> collaboration to improve the web site. Concentrating efforts in one
> place helps to keep people focused and increased activity attracts new
> contributors.

Looking at the archives of both lists:

  http://mail.python.org/pipermail/pydotorg-redesign/
  http://mail.python.org/pipermail/pydotorg-www/

it seems the lack of interest in both of these newsgroups might make
simply closing one or both down the most practical approach. Or do you
have a specific purpose in mind after a merge?

In the past there has been a sort of "let's start a mailing list"
disease that people have used to persuade themselves that something will
happen.  Sadly experience proves that this isn't often the case, and the
result is yet another moribund mailing list that doesn't result in any
action.

Since there has been no response to your mail from anyone but Michael
and I (unless I have missed messages) I would suggest that both lists
are already pushing up the daisies.

I am, however, extremely interested in harnessing the energies of anyone
who is keen enough to take any sort of action. To that end I am making
Rich Leland, who has recently undertaken to look at the web site with a
view to modernization of both content management and design, aware of
this thread. He may contact you about this (but I am not committing him
to any specific action).

regards
 Steve
See PyCon Talks from Atlanta 2010  http://pycon.blip.tv/