[Pydotorg-www] About the new build system

Manlio Perillo manlio_perillo at libero.it
Tue Aug 7 15:56:02 CEST 2007

A.M. Kuchling ha scritto:
> On Tue, Aug 07, 2007 at 06:49:51AM +0200, Manlio Perillo wrote:
>> 1) What's wrong with pyramid?
>
> It's a very general system; by writing the right set of templates and
> fragment files, you could assemble all sorts of site designs.  But we
> only really care about python.org, and the generality slowed Pyramid
> down and complicated the steps needed to add a new page.

Ok, thanks.
Just to know: what can be done with pyramid that cannot be done with the
new system?

I think, however, that the new system can be useful for sites other than
python.org.

>> 2) Is the new build system used to build the current web site?
>
> Yes.
>
>> 1) What is the syntax of the Nav header?
>
> IIRC, it's an indented list of (url-path {optional link title} link
> text) lines.

I have read the pyramid sources.
However it seems that now the Nav is indented at only one level, right?

I'm asking because I want to try to simplify the code, so it can be more
easily understood (if I adopt it for python.it, it should be easy to
maintain for the future).

>> 2) In the source code there are references to some "old" files,
>>     but in the data directory:
>>       there are no more nav.yml and body.html
>>       there are only:
>
> Right; body.html was used to specify the template for a page, but that
> generality is no longer supported.
>
> --amk

Thanks and regards  Manlio Perillo