[Pydotorg-www] New build script ready for a look

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Fri Mar 9 20:49:58 CET 2007

At this point I tentatively think that the new build tool is getting
the navigation links mostly correct -- this is based on spot-checking
a few pages.  We're still far from being able to switch, but
interested people can at least try it and look at the output.

How to try it out:

1) Update your beta.python.org tree to pick up the new-build directory.

2) Install Mako, PyYAML, and Docutils, as described in
   new-build/README.

3) Build an output tree: in beta.python.org/build/, run "make new".

4) The script will crank away for a while (90sec on my machine).

5) Run "make serve" to start a little Python webserver on port 8000,
   running in the background.

6) View http://localhost:8000/.

7) Browse the site and report any problems.

Know problems:

* The home page isn't generated yet -- it's quite different from most
  pages on the site.

* pyramid generates sidebar links beginning at the top of the site
  (about, news, documentation, ...) but new-build implements them up
  from the page being viewed.  This needs to be fixed to match pyramid.

Doubtless there are more I haven't noticed yet.

Question: what are the rules for when files are copied as-is from the
data/ directory into the output directory?  (e.g. the *.asc files in
the release directories)

--amk