[pydotorg-www] project plan

Stephan Deibel sdeibel at wingware.com
Wed Apr 21 15:32:20 CEST 2010

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>> I think a lot of geeks just don't like "marketing", not matter what the
>> purpose.
>>

> I don't think "not like" describes it correctly. Me, personally, I don't
> care about that aspect of the site. I want python.org to be the place
> were people download Python releases, report bugs, post information they
> find useful, collaborate, and learn about events that take place.
> Whether or not the site also "markets" Python is of little relevance to
> me. Only if the marketing gets in the way of the other functions I start
> not liking it.

The most effective marketing is low-key word of mouth and other kinds of
informal helpful referrals.  The kind of stuff that people wouldn't even
really
think of as marketing.  This will mostly happen entirely outside of the
website.

The website should be accessible and helpful to people that receive such
word of mouth and want to learn about and start using Python.  It should
try doing that for a variety of audiences.

I don't think a site that tries to "sell" will work well, not even if you
target corporate IT types (or whatever you want to call decision makers at
larger companies).

I'd go so far as to say the current site tries to "sell" too much (in the
right column on home page and About area).  I helped write and/or collect
a lot of that stuff.  I'm not sure how useful it really is, or at least
quotes and
success stories are not as useful as making Download and Getting Started
info more obvious.  The stuff in About is a bit better in that it's more
factual
but the presentation is still trying too hard to "sell" and I think
that's a problem.

Here's an amusing failure to "sell":  Look at the "About Ruby's Growth"
section on http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/about/ -- what it shows in the graph
since 2006 doesn't look like growth to me!  Of course someone set this
up and
forgot about it and the graph just keeps auto-updating.

- Stephan