[pydotorg-www] project plan

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Wed Apr 21 18:25:15 CEST 2010

    >> - I wonder if the PSF might consider funding a competent technical
    >> writer with essentially no programming experience to learn the
    >> language and produce a good tutorial aimed at complete novices.

    Michael> Whilst *evaluating* tutorials can be done (and perhaps is best
    Michael> done) by those with little experience I don't think that
    Michael> absolute Python newbies can *create* a very good tutorial.

My implicit point was that I think it's difficult for experienced
programmers to write documentation which is suitable for non-programmers.  I
don't know what the resolution will be, but there is certainly tension
between the two extremes.

    >> - Would Google App Engine be a suitable environment for an interactive
    >> Python exploratorium?
    >>

    Michael> I'd rather not have our core services dependent on external
    Michael> providers - but am not *strongly* against it for some of the
    Michael> details.

I only mentioned GAE because presumably they've solved the problem of
someone entering something simple like

    print 1000 ** 1000 ** 1000

which will likely take awhile to run.  GAE probably also has more hardware
available so that the above sort of construct (if it hasn't been addressed)
is unlikely to be an effective denial-of-service attack.  At most the PSF
will probably devote a few boxes to such an application.  Execute that a few
times and things can go to pot pretty quickly.  Not to mention
security/sandbox issues.