[pydotorg-www] project plan

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Wed Apr 21 20:56:16 CEST 2010

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 12:31:00 -0400, Richard Leland <rich at richleland.com> wrote:
> I agree with Michael - as someone that is getting familiar with the process
> it just doesn't seem as agile as it could be. For instance, if there was a
> decision to add 5 new sections with 30 pages of content, which method would
> be faster for updating - a through-the-web-based approach or the existing
> create files, check in, build? I'm not sure one is faster than the other and
> I'm sure there would be varying opinions on that. Maybe the way to approach
> this question is thinking about who could be editing the content. Should it
> always be technical individuals or should someone with writing skills be
> able to update the site as well?

I'm not a current contributor to the python.org content, but I agree
with everything Skip said about this.  For people who are (python)
programmers, through-the-web editing is not agile.  ReST pretty much
*is* text.  The tools are not hard to learn...and perhaps demystifying
them for those who are scared of them would bring more developers into
the software community, which would be a great thing.  "Writers" can be
programmers too, some of them just don't know it :)

--
R. David Murray                                      www.bitdance.com