[pydotorg-www] project plan

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Apr 22 21:57:29 CEST 2010

Jesse Noller wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 1:26 AM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>>> As a piece of anecdotal evidence - I speak to people *daily*, in which
>>> the conversation goes like this:
>>>
>>> Them: "Man, I found a bug in the docs/python lib/site"
>>> Me: "Please file a bug, better yet, file a patch! Especially the docs,
>>> they're easy to fix!"
>>> Them: <rummaging>
>>> Them: I have to do *what* to change a line in the docs?! Check out
>>> code? Do a diff? Screw that!! I have other things to do that *pay me*.
>>> Me: Please file a bug at least!
>>> Them: Why bother? It's going to take forever for it to get fixed. You
>>> deal with it.
>> Can you please give three or four examples of the changes they would
>> like to see made? Please be as specific as possible.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Martin
>>

> Rather then trying to randomly summarize discussion spanning about two
> years mixed with gut feelings, I took the discussion public:
>
> http://jessenoller.com/2010/04/22/why-arent-you-contributing-to-python/
> http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1285897

Hmm. Maybe you were exaggerating them? If you get *daily* conversations
on how difficult it is to contribute to python.org, you don't have to go
back two years - just this week should provide you with four examples...

In any case, the posting you made has a different focus than the one we
had been discussing (at least, what I thought we were discussing),
namely python.org - *not* python itself. I know there are barriers to
contributing to Python, but I think I understand them much better, plus
I do think people contribute plenty to Python - we get more issues than
we can process.

I had hoped you would be able to provide examples of changes that people
specifically want to make to python.org (and remain still wondering what
precisely you meant by that).

Regards,
Martin