[pydotorg-www] project plan

Jesse Noller jnoller at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 22:48:33 CEST 2010

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 4:30 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> 1> Make it clear / prominent *where to download*
>> 2> Make it clear / prominent *where to file bugs*
>> 3> Make it clear / prominent how to get involved in the community.
>> 4> Make it clear / prominent how to get packages.
>> 5> Add a link to the bug tracker on the front page - but say "report an issue"
>
> These all seem like very little effort to do, IIUC.
>
> Yet, I think I'm unable to implement them, as I still fail to see the
> problem.
>
> If you think you can, just go ahead and do it. Or, tell me how exactly
> you would want it look, and I change it for you.

This is fundamentally why I'm trying to encourage this project by Rich
Leland, and by extension, the PSF. I don't *want* a series of
band-aids and quick fixes to pile onto the mound of band-aids we have.
We have a fundamental design problem. We have content which needs
deleted, simplified, we have to find a way of making things *simpler*
and more streamlined. This can't be done one-tiny-piece at a time
without having specific goals in mind.

The problem is systemic.

> I still wish you would provide a list of problems that people discussed
> with you in the last four days.

I just did. Let me be even more specific:

1> Download page is confusing. Make it less so. Why isn't there a
massive "DOWNLOAD HERE" button on the home page?
2> Don't see a clear way of filing a bug and the dev documents are
long/confusing. Giving up. (3 hours ago, coworker)
3> I don't even see "the community" on the page, how do I know how to
communicate with the community?! (4 hours ago, coworker)
4> Where's a simple way of finding out how to contribute?
5> Why isn't there a code example on the front page?

Do I really need to enumerate all of this? It meshes with what I said
in the last email. The reason why I reached out to the public at-large
to get their real, valid feedback is to give us a feel of what people
who are not *us* feel, believe and want.

jesse