[pydotorg-www] Current python.org contributor process

Michael Foord mfoord at python.org
Thu Apr 22 23:53:10 CEST 2010

On 22/04/2010 23:45, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
>> If you don't have checkin rights you'll need to generate a patch
>> (assuming you know how) - and then there is nowhere to post it (no issue
>> tracker for the website), other than perhaps emailing it to
>> webmaster at python.org.
>>
> In that case, you shouldn't be checking out the entire site. Just check
> out the directory containing the page you want to edit, and submit a
> patch. Forget about downloading tools and building, just submit the
> patch (somebody with commit rights will have to verify the patch, anyway).

Right - we could change the instructions to reflect this. This would
require browsing the repository structure online (would need a link to
that) and working out which directory you need. If you're following the
instructions you would follow the procedures I outlined though.

>> Anyone who doesn't think this constitutes a "high barrier to entry" is
>> nuts (tm).
>>
> I think the process you describe could be significantly simplified for
> non-committers with the changes I described above.
>
> I doubt that we would see a flow of patches coming, though.

Well right, if we still depend on subversion and command line tools and
posting patches I doubt it would make *much* difference (having a
simpler procedure and somewhere clear to post patches would probably
make *some* difference though).

If we had an almost zero barrier to entry (through the web) my guess is
that we *would* have more contributions (we currently get something
close to zero contributions and any website maintenance is done by a
handful of volunteers). A through the web system could conceivably still
generate patches and post them to a queue for evaluation - allowing
those who like the current system to maintain their current workflow.

Fredrik Lundh's experiment with through the web contributions to Python
documentation (if I recall correctly) and the django book's through the
web annotation system demonstrates that there is a large number of
people willing to contribute. The fact that orders of magnitude more
people use the wiki than contribute to python.org (even given that our
wiki is poorly used) also shows this.

All the best,

Michael

--