[pydotorg-www] Current python.org contributor process

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Fri Apr 23 15:06:40 CEST 2010

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010, "Martin v. L?wis" wrote:
>attribution lost:
>>
>> I may have misunderstood the intent of some of this web redesign and
>> ease of contribution effort (I think they are germane to this thread).
>>  I interpreted it as trying not only to get people to the community
>> through the website, but drawing them into the whole development and
>> maintenance process so that the core group doesn't die out or burn
>> out.
>
> If that's the objective, then it would mean that we are trying to solve
> a problem that doesn't exist. We constantly add new committers for
> Python, these are people who not only report bugs and submit patches,
> but actually also review them.

Speaking as the person who started the (currently dormant) diversity
list, I think both of you are correct.  That is, Python does reasonably
well in terms of keeping itself alive, but I believe that the Python
community would be better for increasing the sources of newcomers.
Decreasing barriers to entry has been shown to do that -- but although I
think some pain in changing the way we work is reasonable, we don't want
to remove the efficiencies of our current toolchains and drive away our
existing contributors.

--Bill Harlan