[pydotorg-www] You want submissions? Spread some swag around...

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Fri Apr 23 20:58:46 CEST 2010

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 9:51 PM,  <skip at pobox.com> wrote:

> It seems to me that if you really want inputs in the form of bug reports,
> patches, design suggestions, wiki cleanup, etc, you should reward people for
> those inputs.  Some thoughts (really just thinking out loud):
>
>    * Every time a person who has never received swag before submits a valid
>      bug report they are entered in a weekly drawing for a t-shirt or mug
>      with a design/text commemorating the event.  Something like "I found a
>      bug in Python".  Limit one shirt/mug per person.  (Once you've won
>      something you can't win another.)  The more valid bug reports
>      submitted (by whatever means) the more chances you have to win some
>      exclusive swag.  Over time there would be a pretty high probability
>      that most bug submitters will get rewarded.
>
>    * Same idea, but more exclusive.  Every time someone submits a patch
>      which is accepted they are entered in a similar drawing (but maybe one
>      held less often, monthly perhaps?).  Something like "I fixed a bug in
>      Python".  Same limit applies.
>
>    * Maybe have a bug submitters and fixers BOF at PyCon as further
>      recognition.
>
> I would suggest excluding python-dev subscribers from receiving these
> prizes.  The idea is to grow the number of contributors.
>
> These should be prizes you can't get elsewhere.  Can't buy 'em.  Won't see
> PyCon staff members wearing such shirts unless they won them in legit
> fashion.  Even Guido won't have one.
>
> Skip

What is the current population of bug reporters in the last year?  My
guess is under 500.  trying to get  a grip on what this could cost.

I bet it is worth it to eliminate the drawing and give them to
everyone, and also relax the rules for getting something.  As much as
that might devalue the prestige, I think it will be a net positive.
The snag may be financing, but if we allow a logo to get slapped on
there, problem solved.

How about some tiers:

"I submitted a bug report."  - anyone who wants a shirt can submit
some garbage, fill out a form, and they get a shirt.   other than
having to weed out the complete garbage bug reports from real bug
reports, who cares if people walk around advertising they submitted?
If someone can figure out how and actually submit a bug report, we
should want the world know.    Anyone wearing the shirt is going to
attract attention, and someone is going to ask, and the response will
be "it was easy!"   That alone is worth something.

For those who actually contribute:

"My bug report was accepted!"

"My Patch was Applied" and "I have commit privs."

"I have access to the Python source code."

--
Carl K