[pydotorg-www] Refocus the discussion (was Re: Process improvement to reduce bug =?iso-8859-1?q?triaging=09errors?=)

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Sat Apr 24 17:43:31 CEST 2010

On Saturday 24 April 2010 16:58:51 Aahz wrote:

[Python bug/patch workflow]

> This is not particularly relevant to pydotorg-www.  Why are you bringing
> it up here?  If we start sprawling the discussion to all parts of the
> Python development process and community, we won't have enough focus to
> get work done.  I suggest that you move comments like this to
> python-dev.

Although Skip has neatly summarised the different contribution activities, we
do risk sliding off into discussions of things like the contribution workflow
around the Python software itself, rather than focusing only on Web site
matters. Certainly, there should be a discussion about whether people can
easily contribute to the CPython software distribution (from bug reporting,
reviewing, patch submissions, PEP authorship, all the way up to having commit
privileges), but on this list we should focus more on how well any kind of
workflow of this nature is exposed via the Web site, not whether such a
workflow is fair, accessible or adequate. (The Web site contribution workflow
is another matter, but let us not mix it all up with its CPython software
distribution counterpart.)

I've updated the site improvements page to make this clear (and to tidy it up
a bit, anyway):

http://wiki.python.org/moin/SiteImprovements

Again, I'm still more interested in seeing some of the incremental
improvements carried out than getting bogged down in a discussion of some
ambitious Web site transformation project.

Paul