[pydotorg-www] project plan

Michael Foord mfoord at python.org
Sat Apr 24 23:50:05 CEST 2010

On 23/04/2010 14:29, skip at pobox.com wrote:
>      4>  Where's a simple way of finding out how to contribute?
>
>      Martin>  Core Development/Patch Submission.
>
> I think we need a concrete definition of what "contribute" means.  Here are
> some common interpretations I come up with off the top of my head:
>
>      Language/Library-related
>      ------------------------
>
>      * file a bug report against Python itself
>      * fix a bug in Python by submitting a patch
>      * review existing bug reports and/or patches
>      * be an "early adopter" - download and exercise pre-release versions

Running a buildbot.

>      Website-related
>      ---------------
>      * file a bug report about the website (ignore the details of "file a bug
>        report for now")
>      * monitor wiki pages, deleting spam, correcting errors
>      * reorganize all or part of the main website or wiki

Including adding new content.

>      User-related
>        development of the language and its libraries (python-dev,
>        python-ideas, distutils-sig, etc) or those whose aim it is to help
>        other users (esp, python-help and tutor)

Run or be involved in user groups or conferences.

Promote Python by writing articles, blog entries or even books.

>      Administrative
>        postmaster, webmaster, pydotorg denizen, or a roto-rooter)
>
>      Monetary
>      --------
>      * Donate
>      * Convince your boss that your company should donate (money, services,
>        hardware, human resources)
>
> I haven't included anything related to the PSF, largely because I never
> participated in it myself, so don't have a clue what all goes on behind
> those doors, but I'm sure there are plenty of opportunities for people to
> contribute there as well.
>
> Much of this discussion seems to have focused on problems "contributing" to
> the design and content of the website: how difficult it is to check out the
> static files from Subversion, edit the content, build a local copy of the
> site, and finally check the changes back in to make them live.  I happen to
> believe that sort of contribution pales in comparison with contributions to
> the language and libraries and all the other activities which fall under the
> overall umbrella of "contribution".

I'd put them all on equal footings. They're all important in their way
and avenues for people with different tastes and skill sets to participate.

> Personally, I'm happy if the same dozen
> or so people are the only people who turn the cranks to actually light up
> the website(s).  In the grand scheme of things that's a trivial part of the
> entire process as it relates to contributing to Python.
>
> Long story short, when you refer to contribution in any of these
> discussions, please be specific.

Well, when people ask how they can contribute it would be nice to be
able to point them to a page with all these possibilities - including
links to more information on all of them... (rather than asking them to
be more specific ;-)

Nice list by the way.

Michael

--