[pydotorg-www] International Symbol - request for addition

Carl Trachte ctrachte at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 03:28:58 CEST 2010

On 4/24/10, A.M. Kuchling <amk at amk.ca> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 12:07:06PM -0600, Carl Trachte wrote:
>> I am writing to request the addition of the attached jpg with a link
>> to the Python Wiki's Languages page to the python.org homepage.
>
> It's easily done, but I'm not sure where to put the graphic.
>
> Here's a draft that adds it in two places, to both the left and right
> sidebars.
>
> http://www.amk.ca/files/python/world.html
>
> The left-side problem: that portion of the page template is from the
> standard site template, so adding the graphic there will put it on
> every single page.
>
> The right-side problem: that side is already very full; where do we
> want to put the graphic?  I've put it below the house ad but above the
> 'so-and-so uses Python'.  If it goes below the 'Using Python for...' box,
> the graphic will be hard to notice.
>
> Proposal: maybe we should just drop the 'Using Python for' box
> completely?  Or maybe it's OK to put the world map on every single
> page, on the left-hand side?
>
> --amk

Andrew,

Thanks a ton.

My preference is for right side where you put it with minimal text
(Non-English or Non-English Python Resources).

My rational is that
1) whoever put Summer of Code and Uses Python there felt they were
important enough to have the top spots.
2) having a link from anywhere on python.org directly to the Languages
page on the wiki is more than what is there now.
3) having it on every page IMO is overkill.

Thanks for taking this input into consideration.

Carl T.